Thursday, April 24, 2008

Your face is in the way (Taj Mahal, Ra, Phoenicia)

Hmmm.

Taj Mahal

It was just me, Luch and Bharmer playing the first game. In this session, I tried to see if I could win Taj Mahal by focusing mainly on connecting provinces. The short answer is No.

It may be possible to do well at Taj with this strategy, but it would take a specific board layout. In this game, the numbers were very disconnected, so despite the fact I was very successfully placing the palaces I needed, the province chains just weren't that long. Sadly, the 3-4 points I was getting couldn't keep up with the points both Luch and Bharmer were getting from goods. When I finally connected the provinces in the middle, I had two successive turns netting me 10-14 points, but it was too little, too late. Bharmer and Luch were way ahead, and Bharmer won it.

Ra

Kozure and Kozure's Kuz (ahem) showed up just as we were putting away the board. We decided to play Ra, because, well, it's a great game. Not so much with 5, but still good. Anyway, as usual I spent the 2nd and 3rd round with very low suns (note to self: why does that always happen?). I therefore was an auction calling machine. It worked for me, and I managed a huge haul of pharaohs and rivers which won the game for me. Anyway, the Kuz seemed unimpressed for most of the game, but I think he was starting to like it near the end. We'll see if chooses to come back!

Phoenicia

It was do or die for Phoenicia tonight. It died.

Kozure once again managed a small lead by the second or third round and held it until the end. Obviously, he understands something about the game that eludes the rest of us, because as much as I believe seating order is important it can't be a coincidence that he keeps killing us. He always has the lead early, and never lets it go long.

Anyway, despite the fact that there is obviously skill involved, the whole thing feels scripted and boring. It's a short game, yet the winner seems obvious far too early. I don't know, it's just not that much fun for me.

To the trade pile!

1 comment:

  1. Alas, Phoenicia, we tried to like ya.

    Yup - have to concur. A few interesting mechanics but not much else going for the game + pretty lacklustre excitement = trade-worthy.

    Too bad - this is one of the few games I've been able to win consistently at.

    Ra - good as always, but not quite as good with five players.

    Taj Mahal - didn't play. Probably a good thing because I've sucked at the last two or three attempts at this.

    ReplyDelete