Saturday, January 05, 2008

Games Played 2007 + Favorites

2007 was, as always, a good year at the WAGS gaming group. I've compiled a list of our games played this year. I did it rather quickly, so it may contain errors, but it's a general overview. Also, a few sessions weren't recorded, so many of these games got more plays than I'm listing here. The big winner would appear to be Clue: The Great Museum Caper, but in reality it received that many plays because it's short, typically played several times in one sitting, and... most of all... I was desperately trying to prove to myself that it's actually playable (I'm still not sure). I would therefore crown Jungle Speed as the WAGS most played game of the year.

8 Plays:
Clue: The Great Museum Caper

6 Plays:
Jungle Speed

5 Plays:
Ra
San Juan

4 Plays:
Mr. Jack

3 Plays:
TransEuropa
Wheedle
Tikal
Goa
Blue Moon City
Dungeon Twister
Beowulf

2 Plays:
Shogun
Carcassonne
Last Night on Earth
Blokus
Power Grid
Downfall of Pompei
Taj Mahal
Theophrastus
Terrakh
El Grande
Way Out West
Louis XIV
Liar’s Dice
LOTR: Confrontation
Palazzo
Domaine
Yspahan
Mission Red Planet

1 Play:
Ideology
Space Dealer
Vegas Showdown
Wildlife
Tigris and Ephrates
Modern Art
LOTR: Sauron
Mall of Horror
Vampire: Prince of the City
A Game of Thrones
Doom
For Sale!
Tower of Babel
Hey! That’s My Fish
Bohnanza
Mama Mia!
Set
Zendo
Mao
Dvorak
Pirate’s Cove
Die Macher
Tide of Iron
Crimson Skies
Carcassonne: The City
Maharaja
Naval Battles
Plunder
RoboRally
Canal Mania
Ticket to Ride
Witch Trial
Princes of Florence
Through the Desert
China
Nexus Ops
Ingenious
Flying Colours
Fury of Dracula
To Court the King
Antike
Conquest of the Empire
Santiago

So, that's 43 games played only once, and 18 games played twice, and only 12 games TOTAL played more than twice. Apparently, we have gaming attention deficit disorder.

2007 didn't contain any knockout new games for me, like Taj Mahal/ Tikal or El Grande. Jungle Speed has certainly become a personal favorite, and Blue Moon City & Beowulf are also very good. Yspahan impressed me as a great medium weight game (in the same vein as Ra and China). A game of Thrones seemed like it could be a very good Waro, but one game was simply not enough to assess that one. Finally, Last Night on Earth was a great success as a thematic but playable horror game.

As a sidenote, Blue Moon City has been the biggest hit for my family and friends outside of WAGS. My interest in wargaming has netted me Lock n' Load: Band of Heroes and Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. I've managed to play both once, but I'd really love to find a way to play these titles with more regularity... 2 player games have a difficult time getting on the table with my current situation, and complex ones even moreso.

Predictions/ wishes for the new year: Our rate for purchasing new games has diminished substantially, but still continues a good clip. I bet we'll see even fewer purchases this year. The math trades have been a fun way to cycle games in and out of my collection without having to spend money, so I think I'll participate in one or two of those. I hope to see more Railroad Tycoon and Game of Thrones... as well as continued play of my favorites (El Grande, Ra, Taj Mahal).

To another good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment